Monday, April 25, 2005

On Class Systems and Hooters.

I was just about to post a comment on my good friend Ann's blog (yes, that is her current identity. I know it changes weekly, and is hard to keep track of, but this is why we like her) when what i was about to write hit me.

In regards to a recent post of hers about the shallowness of our fellow students, i was going to comment "Hey! Us losers are people too!" when it hit me. Us losers? What am i talking about?! Elementary school ended almost four years ago, so why do these class definitions still stick with me? Perhaps becuase they were driven into my skull for eight years of my life, but i thought i had gotten over the whole "popular kids" phase of life, but i guess not.

It seems to resurface every once in a while, no matter how much squashing i have done over the past few years. I take comfort in the fact that it reoccurs less and less, but look forward to the day that i will totally be rid of this feeling. But will that day actually arrive? Or will a part of us always feel that there are groups of cool kids, and uncool kids, even after we leave highschool and enter "the real world". Hmm... i guess we won't know until we embark on that journey.

On a brighter note, i set sail on a completely different voyage tomorrow morning. Choir is going to Edmonton. Translation: we are going shopping with Mrs. Lord (a.k.a. lordy) for 6 hours. Boo Yah!
Actually, unlike most of my fellow singers, i am not overly pumped about the spending spree part of this trip. I mean, sure it will be a blast, but honestly, what makes it so different from here? I guess i will find out when i get there, but so as not to be horribly disappointed in the lack of life-altering stores in the West-ed mall, i am just looking forward to the fun experiences and memories that i hope to collect on this trip. Like our side trip to Hooters. Never been there. Excited to experience it. Will tell y'all about it when i return. Try not to miss me too much!

Song of the moment: Leaving on a Jet Plane by Aerosmith

3 Comments:

Blogger Dingus said...

People will always be subconsciously defined by how universally appreciated they are. In other words, how popular they are among their peer group. People who are middle-aged sometimes struggle with it just as much as high-school kids; at the bar, at work, etc. It's a really sad thing to consider, but what you have to do is not let it consume you. The only way to get past it or not experience it is to be yourself and say fuck you to anyone who doesn't appreciate you for who you are. Everyone deserves respect, no matter their situation or reputation. You're an awesome and considerate friend, Niki. You're too cool for 'cool'.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Clifford said...

Well once you get to my old age. 19. You realize that being a "loser" throughout school isn't a bad thing. For the most part I was a loser, but I still had my friends and I had fun and did my thing. If people don't wanna hang out with you or dislike you because you wern't popular than they are missin out anyway.
and thats my 2 cents.
I think your cool.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Syxx said...

Yes! Two people think i'm cool! Now, i shall take over the world.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home